Thursday 21 February 2013

Hornsea Mere

It was a nice sunny day for once so I decided to take a trip to Hornsea Mere, hopefully I could get in this time as last time I tried the gates were locked!

When I arrived there seemed to be a lot more people than usual, and one spot in particular was getting a lot of attention from everyone with a scope or a camera. I went over to see what all the commotion was about and after asking around I was told a Bittern had been spotted in the reeds. He was very hard to spot through the reeds, but after being pointed in the right direction I eventually got a glimpse of him.


It is amazing how good their camouflage is. It was proving tricky to get a good view so I decided to take a look around and come back later as there was plenty of other wildlife to see.

Black-headed Gull


Greylag Goose


Canada Goose


There was a tree on an island with loads of Cormorants resting in it.


My son Oliver promised me a sighting of a Goldeneye as he had seen one last time he was there with his Grandparents. I was beginning to doubt him after an hour of searching, but sure enough he managed to find me one much to his delight!




After that success, I returned to get a better view of the Bittern and I was not to be disappointed.




After a good afternoon, it was soon time to head home.  En route we were lucky enough to see a Kestrel perched on the power lines looking for his tea


and then he was off and so were we!

No comments:

Post a Comment