Friday 8 February 2013

North Cave Wetlands

It was a cold but dry and overcast day, although it did not start too well as I got stuck twice in the car park just trying to turn around!  The track was like an ice skating rink and there was hardly anyone about, luckily a guy on bike went past and gave me a push otherwise I might still be there!  So I would like to say many thanks to my good Samaritan and don't take German cars out in winter.

My first sighting of the day or in fact sounds of the day was a flock of Greylag Geese flying in, they were amazingly loud for about half an hour.




There were several Mallards struggling on the ice


A Reed Bunting busy feeding in the reeds, the hard part was finding him!




These Shovelers were asleep on one of the few areas of water that wasn't frozen solid


This Magpie was on the lookout for something to eat, I'm not sure an electric fence is the best place to sit though!


An Ice locked Turret hide


A Redwing found a nice juicy worm to eat beside the path, going, going...


Gone!


There were a lot of finches feeding in the hedges near the path

Chaffinch


Greenfinch


Goldfinch


These Shelduck were resting on an island in the middle of one of the ponds along with some Redshank and Tufted Ducks


The works nearby


No Green Woodpecker today, the ice and snow must have put him off as it certainly was a very cold day.  Fortunately, I did manage to get the car out of the car park without any further problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment