Saturday 23 March 2013

North Cave Wetlands

I had a few hours to spare so decided on a trip to North Cave Wetlands to see what had changed since my last visit during a particularly hard frost. This time there were quite a lot of different species and in particular it was great to see a female Smew, a first for me.

There were plenty of Shelduck, the most I have seen together in one group


A pair of Great Crested Grebes were showing plenty of interest in each other


A female Smew all on her own!


Kestrel perched waiting and watching for lunch


Lapwing in a field next to the reserve all busily feeding


Teal with the colours showing up great in the sunshine


Redshank




It was nice to see a Sparrowhawk hunting in the distance


I even got a distant viewing of a Barn Owl sitting it out waiting for dusk, shame it wasn't a bit closer though


Reed Bunting


View towards turret hide


Snipe


Greylag just coming in to land

No comments:

Post a Comment